Orthodontic treatment is performed to correct different types of malocclusion, or poor bite. There are many possible conditions that cause a poor bite. When you come to our office, Drs. Liang and Liang can diagnose your bite and discuss your orthodontic options with you.
The most common types of malocclusion are:
– Upper protrusion – With upper protrusion (which is also called overjet), the upper front teeth are pushed outward. This is often called buck teeth. This may be caused by a small lower jaw. Thumb-sucking or pacifier use can also cause this by pushing the teeth outward. Thumb-sucking and pacifiers can also cause the roof of the mouth to change shape.
– Open bite – In a proper bite, the upper front teeth are slightly in front of the lower front teeth. In an open bite, the upper and lower front teeth don’t overlap at all. This causes an opening straight into the mouth. An open bite can also occur on the side(s) of the mouth.
– Spacing or crowding problems – If an individual has too much or too little room in the mouth, spacing or crowding problems can be caused. Crowding can keep the permanent teeth from coming in properly or at all.
– Overbite – If an individual has an excessive overbite, the upper front teeth go too far down over the lower front teeth. In extreme cases, this causes the lower teeth to bite into the roof of the mouth.
– Underbite – An individual has an underbite if the lower front teeth are in front of the upper front teeth.
– Cross bite – A cross bite is present when some or all of the upper teeth are on the wrong side of the lower teeth.
We invite you to contact Liang Orthodontics today to learn more about treatment for malocclusion in Potomac, Maryland, and to schedule a visit with our orthodontists.