There are many bite issues that can be treated with orthodontics. Drs. Liang and Liang are committed to providing excellent care to correct your malocclusion in Potomac, Maryland. We invite you to contact Liang Orthodontics at 301-637-2189 to learn more and to schedule a visit with our orthodontists.
Many common orthodontic problems involve malocclusion, or bad bites. Bad bites are often a result of misaligned jaws. There are many types of bad bites, including:
- Overbite – when the upper front teeth extend over the lower front teeth. The lower front teeth may bite into the roof of the mouth.
- Underbite – this type of bite occurs when the lower jaw extends out, causing the lower front teeth to rest in front of the upper front teeth.
- Open Bite – when the upper and lower front teeth do not overlap or touch. Open bites often cause problems with chewing, and may be caused or worsened by poor oral habits such as tongue thrusting.
- Crossbite – when the upper teeth sit inside the lower teeth, causing misaligned jaw growth and tooth stratification (division into layers).
- Protrusion of the Upper Front Teeth – when the upper teeth extend too far forward, or the lower front teeth do not extend forward far enough.
- Unmated Dental Midlines – when the back bite of the teeth does not fit or match correctly, and negatively impacts the function of your jaw.
We are dedicated to helping you enjoy a healthier, more beautiful smile. For more information on common orthodontic problems, and to make your appointment with our orthodontists, please contact our practice.